Monday, January 22, 2007

Basic whole grain muffins with variations

My friend Corra posted this recipe on our March Mommies board and I thought I would share it. She got it from Whole Foods for the Whole Family. I want to find this cookbook if I can. From what she says, it has a lot of good recipes in it. We are trying to eat more whole foods instead of so many processed foods. I ate these last week with a banana for breakfast.

BASIC WHOLE GRAIN MUFFINS

2 C. whole wheat flour
1 tsp. baking soda
1/4 C. brown sugar or honey
1 tsp. ground cinnamon (optional)
1/8 tsp ground cloves (optional)
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 C. raisins
1 egg, beaten
1 C. buttermilk
3 tbsp. oil

Mix dry ingredients and raisins in bowl. Make well in center. Add egg, buttermilk and oil. Stir until moistened. Fill greased muffin cups 1/2 full. Bake at 375 for 15 minutes. Good hot or cold. May substitute yogurt or sour milk for buttermilk or melted butter for oil.

Yield: 16 servings Approx Per Serving: Cal 108; Prot 3g; Carbs 18g; Fiber 2g; T Fat 3g; 26% Cal from Fat; Chol 14mg; Sod 140mg.

Variations:Omit Raisins. Add 1 C. blueberries or chopped fruit.
Add nuts or sesame or sunflower seeds
Omit 1 C. or more whole wheat flour and substitute with rye, soy or triticale flour, rolled oats or oat flour, wheat germ or bran.
Omit baking soda and buttermilk. Add 2 tsp. baking powder and 1 C. milk


I made these last week and used dried cranberries instead of raisins. I also used the last of my turbinado raw cane sugar (instead of brown sugar or honey) and yogurt (instead of buttermilk). I like that this recipe can have so many variations. It did start out a little dry probably because of the yogurt so I added about a 1/4 cup of orange juice just to make the dough a little wetter. I also used my mini muffin pans and it made about 36 mini muffins. I baked them for 10-12 minutes.

No comments: