Thursday, June 22, 2006

Cooking for kids

Cooking for the kids at the daycare can be fun but sometimes challenging. You have to have a well balanced meal following state guidelines while taking into account that certain people won't like certain things. It blows my mind when some kids won't eat the most basic "kid foods". I try to make things that I know they will like and eat so they don't go home starving. Dippable things are a HUGE hit. The kids love anything in a tortilla. One of their favorites is what they call "tortilla sandwich". Take a tortilla and put a slice of ham or turkey and a slice of cheese and fold in half. Put that in a sandwich maker and cook until the light comes back on (about 1 minutes) and the cheese is melted. I slice these into triangles and serve with carrots and apples. They love to dip all this in Ranch dressing. We have carrots 2-3 times a week because they love them so much. I try to have as much fresh fruit as possible too. Apples, oranges, cantaloupe, watermelon, and grapes are all favorites. Bananas only go over good with a few.
Today I made bean and cheese quesadillas. I take a tortilla and spread it with refried beans then sprinkle with grated cheddar jack cheese topping it with another tortilla. I put this on a comal or round griddle and cook until the cheese is melted and the tortillas are golden. Slice it into wedges and serve with corn and pears.
Our menu has more of a Tex-Mex flair to it because that's what our kids are use to. We do make a few Italian dishes including Pizza sticks and spaghetti. The rest of our menu consists of sandwiches and chicken or fish.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I like you blog. It is fun to read. mama-e