Thursday, June 15, 2006

What's for dinner?

I use to hate when I would ask my Mom what was for dinner and she would reply I have some hamburger meat. That could mean anything. My Mom was the queen of hamburger meat! My grandparents had a small meat processing business and took some of their pay in meat. We always had fresh meat to eat but more often than not it was ground meat. We just never knew what it was going to turn out as. I have to admit though in leaner times I'm glad that I knew what to do with a pound of ground meat because I have been able to stretch it into so many meals. You can add a cut up potato, can of beans, and so much more to make it go farther.
Here's one of my favorite recipes using ground meat.

Green Enchilada Casserole

1lb ground beef
1/2 yellow onion-chopped

1 can cream of mushroom soup
1 small can chopped green chilies (mild)
1/2 big box Velveta cheese (or 1 small box)
1/2 block mild cheddar cheese

1 bag tortilla chips (I like Santitas yellow corn chips)

Heat oven to 350 degrees. Brown ground beef with chopped onion. Drain grease. While the meat is cooking, put soup and 1 soup can of water in a sauce pan. Mix well then cut cheese into cubes and add to soup mixture. Cook over medium heat until cheese is melted. Make sure you stir often to prevent cheese from scortching. Spray casserole dish or cake pan with cooking spray then fill with chips. Sprinkle the meat over the chips then pour the sauce over the top. Use a spoon to push cheese sauce down into the chips. Cook in the over for 12-20 minutes until bubbly. Take out of oven and let it sit for about 5 minutes.
Serve with refried beans and a green salad.


***This is a family recipe so I had to write it from memory. All amounts and times are approximate.

No comments: