Thursday, August 03, 2006

Comfort food

My little brother is going to college in a few weeks so he is up here visiting my sister and I. We have been making his favorite foods before he goes off and has to cook for himself or eat out. Tuesday my sister made his all time favorite meal--fried pork chops, white rice, and Ranch Style beans. Yesterday I made his 2nd favorite meal--roast with gravy, mashed potatoes, corn, and rolls.
While I was putting the roast in the crockpot Neal called and wanted me to make chicken and dumplings for dinner. He rarely requests anything so I hated to tell him I was already cooking for my brother but I promised to make chicken and dumplings tonight. I guess everyone has a favorite comfort food that takes them back. When we were growing up, we got to choose the meal for the night on our birthday. I always chose chicken and dumplings. My birthday being in October made it the perfect time of year for this meal. On a hot day I would usually not make chicken and dumplings but since we have had so much rain and it's been cool, I have it cooking on the stove right now. I can't wait to make me a plate and curl up in front of the TV to watch Big Brother.
Question--what is your comfort food? What meal takes you back home?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

My comfort food is absolutely hands down angel hair pasta and meatballs. Growing up I was the only one in my family that like spaghetti sauce. But every now and again my mom would make a special dinner just for me of pasta and meatballs.