Thursday, November 16, 2006

Cranberry Nut Bars

Last week I was signing up for freebies and came across one for an Ocean Spray cranberry recipe book. I signed up thinking I wouldn't get it until after Thanksgiving. Guess what showed up in my mail today? I've had a bag of fresh cranberries in my fridge for over a week just waiting for me to make something. I had planned on muffins or cookies but once I saw this recipe, I had to try it. They are very good...a little sweet with a tangy tart taste from the cranberries. I didn't have any nuts so I left them out but I bet it would be even better with them (I would choose to do pecans though).

CRANBERRY NUT BARS

2 eggs
1 cup sugar
1 cup flour ***
1/3 cup butter or margarine, melted
1 1/4 cups Ocean Spray® Fresh or Frozen Cranberries
1/2 cup chopped walnuts

Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease an 8-inch baking pan.

Beat eggs in a medium mixing bowl until thick. Gradually add sugar, beating until thoroughly blended. Stir in flour and melted butter; blend well. Add cranberries and walnuts, mixing gently just until combined. Spread evenly in pan.

Bake for 40 to 45 minutes or until golden brown and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Cool and cut into bars.

Makes 16 servings.

Per Serving: Cal. 146.7 (7% DV), Fat Cal. 62.9, Pro. 2.2g (4% DV), Carb. 19.6g (7% DV), Fat 7.0g (11% DV), Chol. 36.6mg (12% DV), Sod. 36.3mg (2% DV), Vit. A 36.1RE (3% DV), Vit C 1.2mg (2% DV), Vit. E 0.3mg (1% DV), Calcium 10.0mg (1% DV), Iron 0.6 mg (3% DV), Folate 21.2 Ug (5% DV), Zinc 0.3mg (2% DV), Pot. 40.1 mg (1% DV), Dietary Exchange: Fruit 0.5, starch 1, Meat 0, Fat 1

***I used whole wheat flour for mine and they came out fine.

Want to get your own recipe booklet? Go to Ocean Spray and click on the Twelve Months of Cranberry link to have one sent to you (you can also print it out but you won't get the coupons).

1 comment:

Michelle said...

I love getting freebies :) Thanks for the link to the recipe book. This sounds yummy!

thanks for stopping by my blog (via Katrina's!) - it is a small world!