Monday, November 13, 2006

Baked Potato Soup


Last month I went to a Taste of Home Cooking School and learned all kinds of great recipes. One of the ones I wanted to try was Baked Potato Soup. I decided not make what I had on my menu for dinner and made this tonight. It's windy and cold so it was the perfect weather for soup. Neal and I both loved it. We just sprinkled some cheese on top. I think next time I make it, I will put some ham in it. It was so easy and very YUMMMY!

BAKED POTATO SOUP

1/4 cup (1/2 stick) butter or margarine
1/4 cup chopped onion
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1 can (14.5 fl. oz.) chicken broth
1 can (12 fl. oz.) evaporated milk
2 large or 3 medium baking potatoes, baked or microwaved
Cooked and crumbled bacon (optional)
Shredded cheddar cheese (optional)
Sliced green onions (optional)

MELT butter in large saucepan over medium heat. Add onion; cook, stirring occasionally, for 1 to 2 minutes or until tender. Stir in flour. Gradually stir in broth and evaporated milk. Scoop potato pulp from 1 potato (reserve potato skin); mash. Add pulp to broth mixture. Cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until mixture comes just to a boil. Dice remaining potato skin and potato(es); add to soup. Heat through. Season with salt and ground black pepper. Top each serving with bacon, cheese and green onions, if desired.
VARIATION: For a different twist to this recipe, omit the bacon, cheddar cheese and green onions. Cook 2 tablespoons shredded carrot with the onion and add 1/4 teaspoon dried dill to the soup when adding the broth. Proceed as above.
***Copied from VeryBestBaking.com***

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

This soup is so yummy B! I was just wondering what your altitude is. I'm at 3500ft and it really affects my cooking, especially of eggs!

Brenda said...

Hey Jody, we are at about 6500 feet. I always have to add extra flour to my baking and raise the temperature about 25 degrees. It takes forever to cook potatoes, pasta, and beans. I always start those before anything else. After 5.5 years, I've mostly got the hang of cooking in altitude.