Wednesday, November 21, 2007

Pies, pies, and more pies

We made it to my parents around 7pm and I have been making pies ever since. I made a pumpkin, chocolate meringue, lemon meringue, and a coconut meringue--Neal's favorite. My sister gave me a box of apples so I made an apple pie using a recipe from Better Homes and Gardens "New" Cook Book circa 1976. This is my Mom's edition. I have a "newer" edition from around 1989. This recipe is called Perfect Apple Pie and it smells so good! I can't wait to try it out tomorrow.

PERFECT APPLE PIE

6 to 8 tart apples, pared, cored, and thinly sliced (6 cups)*
3/4 to 1 cup sugar
2 tbsp all purpose flour
1/2 to 1 tsp cinnamon
dash ground nutmeg
dash salt
2 pie crusts for 9 inch pie (top and bottom)
2 tbsp butter

If apples lack tartness, sprinkle with about 1 tsp lemon juice. Combine sugar, flour, spices, and dash salt; mix with apples. Line 9-inch pie plate with crust. Fill with apple mixture; dot with butter. Take second crust and cut into strips for lattice top. Weave strips criss crossing then trim ends even with outer edge of pie. Fold over lower crust, seal, and crimp edges. Sprinkle top with cinnamon and sugar, dot with pats of butter. Bake at 400 degrees for 50 minutes or until done.
*or, use two 1-pound 4-ounce cans (about 5 cups) pie-sliced apples, drained.

No comments: