Sunday, November 04, 2007

It's a baking weekend

Since the weather has been cooler lately, I decided to do some baking. A few days ago my sister gave me a starter for Amish Friendship bread so I made 2 loaves it. They turned out ok but I forgot to add extra flour for the altitude so it didn't rise like it should have.
Last week I bought some fresh cranberries and needed to use them up. I made a double batch of Cranberry Nut Bars and used pecans instead of walnuts. They are so good. Fresh cranberries are perfect in these.
We had 7 very ripe bananas so I made a double batch of Banana Bread and threw in a package of pecans. It smells heavenly baking. Anytime I have over ripe bananas I throw them in a bag in the freezer. When I have enough I make this bread. You could also make them into muffins.
Next I'm going to make Fresh Apple Cake from a recipe I found in American Profile (small magazine we get in the paper). I made one a few weeks ago and it was so good. Recipe to follow.
I may make a Pumpkin Sheet cake if I have time. I like to bake them in loaf pans and eat it like pumpkin bread instead of cake. Most of these items I'm putting in my food sealer bags and putting in the freezer to use for the holidays. I love to bake when I have fresh items but if I keep all these things around we (I) will surely eat them all.

FRESH APPLE CAKE

1 3/4 cups granulated sugar
3 eggs
1 cup vegetable oil
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 cups peeled and chopped apples
1 cup chopped walnuts

1. Preheat oven to 350F. Grease and flour a 13-by-9-inch baking dish.
2. Beat sugar, eggs and oil together with a mixer until well blended. Mix in flour, baking soda, cinnamon and salt. Stir in apples and walnuts, mixing well.
3. Pour into baking dish. Bake 50 to 55 minutes. Let cool.

the original recipe comes with a cream cheese frosting but I don't think it needs it. If you do want to add one, you can use the one that is with my Pumpkin Sheet cake recipe.

**note...with all my recipes I always divide my flour between all purpose flour and whole wheat flour. I also use pecans instead of walnuts in my recipes.

No comments: